Te quiero Barcelona. /Sant Pau Art Nouveau Site/

Barcelona is always a good idea. Even in November.
After holidays (I was working as a tour leader in Italy) and after September (I was writing my thesis) I was utterly exhausted. I definitely needed holidays. We were looking for some cheap flights and finally we got some.

Firstly, I have to admit that Barcelona is absolutely gorgeous. I was in Barceona 10 years ago, but I didn't remember anything. The biggest suprise was spanish modernism. Of course, I had that consiousness about Antonio Gaudi, but I didn't expect that he was such a big genius!




My first post from Barcelona I would like to dedicate specially to Sant Pau Art Nouveau. I've seen a lot of places but I think that it was my favourtie one. (The second place goes tooooo.......... Casa Batllo - I hope I will write about it in another post),
So why did Sant Pau Art Noveau inspire me so much? Because it was empty! All tourists visit Sagrada Familia and Park Guell but only few of them know this hospital. 


Built between 1902 and 1930 is a masterpiece of Catalan Modernisme and it could be easily called 'city within a city' because there are 12 pavilons. It was created by L. Domenech i Montaner (surprisingly not by Antonio Gaudi) and in 1997 was declared a World Heritage Site by UNESCO. It's interesting that Domenech i Montaner built a hospital complex and dedicated to each patient an area of 145 m2. 


The materials chosen for a costruction of hospital were the most durable and the most suitable like red brick, stone used for all the decorative details and sculptures, ceramic mosaic, wood, marble, wood, glass and iron. All buildings are made of red brick. Also a building destined for toilets was absolutely fascinating!
Moreover, Demenech integrated nature into his architectural complex, which I consider a fabulous idea. An architect wanted to creat a cheerful atmosphere that could alleviate the pain of the patients. If I were ill, I would like to stay in that kind of hospital. 

Visiting Sant Pau Art Nouveau Site, the details of the buildings drew my attention. Look at this! Isn't it amazing? :) 

I think this unique place was one of the best places I have ever seen. Without tourists (it's November so you can meet other tourists only close to Sagrada Familia and Park Guell) I felt like in a fairytale. 


Comments

  1. What a beautiful views! Barcelona is one of the places that I'd like to see :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Antonio Gaudi. Architectural genius.

Eh

Let's escape!